Thursday, December 29, 2011

Farewell 2011

Ok, so I know I've been slacking lately, but here it is, the last post of 2011...

I hope you will come back in 2012 to see how things are progressing in my step-parenting journey. Like with most everything else in life, we learn from our experiences. Hopefully, I will not make the same mistakes next year, but I'm sure I will have new challenges.

My stepson just turned 16 and my stepdaughter will be 15 in the spring. They're not really "kids" anymore, so they'll be facing new challenges as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new year has in store for them and I hope I'll be able to help them along the way.

A stepparent's job is difficult to define and even harder to perform successfully. We can't really be their parents and we aren't supposed to be their friends. We're not blood relatives, but we ARE family. In a perfect world, we wouldn't even exist. But here we are, trying to educate like teachers, encourage like friends, and love like parents.

I'm reminded of seed, time, and harvest. Our seed is the effort we put forth to enrich the lives of our spouses' children. In time, we will reap the harvest, which hopefully will be abundantly blessed relationships with people who will be better for having known us.

No comments:

Post a Comment